Cerebral Palsy Treatment

Cerebral Palsy Treatment

Cerebral palsy cannot be cured. However, symptom management is possible with the involvement of a variety of medical specialists and custom cerebral palsy treatment plans. Children with CP often require lifelong care from a team of the health professionals, which may consist of the following:


A pediatrician is a medical doctor with a certified specialty in the health of newborns, infants, children, adolescents, and young adults. He or she plays an integral role in the treatment plan and medical care of a child with cerebral palsy until age 18 (or 21).


A physiatrist is a medical doctor with a certified specialty in physical medicine and rehabilitation. The physiatrist advises on improving the functional capacities of the patient with cerebral, including physical, occupational, and psychological therapies.


A neurologist is a medical doctor with a certified specialty in diagnosing and treating brain and nervous system (neurological) disorders. He or she would likely be the medical practitioner to confirm your child’s diagnosis of cerebral palsy.

Orthopedic surgeon

An orthopedic surgeon is a medical doctor with a certified specialty in the diagnosis and operative treatment of musculoskeletal injuries, diseases, and disorders. He or she may recommend interventions to prevent or treat deformities of the spine and limbs symptomatic of more severe types of cerebral palsy.

Physical therapist

A physical therapist, or physiotherapist, is a health practitioner with training in human kinetics and physical rehabilitation. He or she carries out individually-designed treatment programs to improve the physical functioning, or alleviate pain, of muscles, tissues, and joints experienced by people with cerebral palsy.

Occupational therapist

An occupational therapist is a health practitioner with training in human participation/occupation, normally studied within the umbrella of a medical faculty. He or she assists individuals with cerebral palsy participate in daily activities and tasks often through use of assistive devices, technology and modification techniques.

Speech pathologist

A speech-language pathologist is a medical professional with special training in diagnosing and treating speech, voice, and language disorders. Some children with cerebral palsy may struggle with speech, language ability, and/or swallowing, and in most severe cases may be entirely non-verbal.

The degree of involvement from these healthcare professional may lessen or increase over time, depending on the changing needs of the child.

Other assistance

A social worker may help parents of children with cerebral palsy access community and government resources. A mental health professional, a psychologist (doctorate in psychology) or a psychiatrist (medical degree), may provide support to parents, as well as to the child as he or she ages.

A special education teacher focuses on children with learning disabilities. Children with cerebral palsy are not necessarily impaired intellectually; however, a special education teacher may be helpful on a case-by-case basis in determining educational needs and identifying appropriate educational resources and methodologies.

Children with cerebral palsy also have access to child development centers across British Columbia.

Our dedicated team can help you.

Our Team

Don Renaud

Don Renaud, Trial & Appellate Lawyer

Don’s sense of accomplishment is derived from verdicts and settlements which improve the lives of his clients. His extensive trial experience, network and training relieve pressure to settle if a more appropriate amount is obtainable through either jury trial or trial by judge alone.

Mark Berry

Mark Berry, Trial & Appellate Lawyer

Mark’s experience as a litigator includes time as both a criminal defense lawyer as well as a federal prosecutor. Mark’s practice is primarily focused on ICBC injury claims. He is dedicated to ensuring that you are properly compensated for any harm suffered.

Chris Lee

Chris Lee, Trial & Appellate Lawyer

Chris maintains a mixed practice of both ICBC and medical negligence files. He is committed to righting the wrongs suffered by innocent people, ensuring their dignity is respected and that they receive proper compensation. His diligence, analytical skills and empathy enable him to provide superior junior counsel work.

Maida Collins

Maida Collins, Paralegal

Maida currently assists Don with serious ICBC claims and complex medical negligence files, including birth trauma and cerebral palsy cases. Among Maida’s responsibilities are case investigation, documentary disclosure, legal document preparation, legal research and analysis, trial preparation, and witness interviews.

Lisa Novak

Lisa Novak, Paralegal

Lisa is involved in the process from initial client consultation to follow-up with clients post-settlement or verdict. Her responsibilities include case investigation, documentary disclosure, legal document preparation, trial preparation, and witness interviews.

Melissa Chu

Melissa Chu, Paralegal

Melissa assists the firm with both ICBC claims and medical negligence files. Her duties include case investigation, documentary disclosure, legal document preparation and trial preparation. Melissa’s positive nature creates a safe and inclusive environment for everyone around her.

Get in touch to discuss your child’s potential case today

Renaud Law Blog

Read by 41156 British Columbians

Scroll to Top